Followers

Sunday, December 15, 2013

Tutorial: Monochrome Colouring

Hello, dear Coipc Fans,
today, it's Barbara/Kreativmonster here for you with a little tutorial about monochrome colouring.
No I did not alter my image the way some people do, just technically, I wanted to create a monochrome image by using only one brown colour family.
For me, those monochrome images that look like yellowed old photos have something nostalgic and that was the kind of card I wanted to make.

This is what I started with:
 I decided to use several designpapers form the collection "Vintage Winter" from Maja Design and the sweet Victorian girl from Lily of the Valley. With the help of  my colourchart I chose the E4ies, they match the paper. 

First, I stamped the image on Perfect Colouring Paper using Memento "Rich Cacoa" and added a complete layer of E40 to the whole image:

Then I marked the first  structure with E41 and E42 and 
used E44, E47 and E49 on hair and shoes.

I started to define which part of her outfit shall have which colour.

After that I started to work out shades and folds deeper.

As those old pictures do not have much contrast, but a somewhat softer look, I did not work out the deepest shadows too hard and have not used any other colour then E4ies.

When I was content with my colouring, I stamped the image onto a piece of masking paper, cut it out and covered the coloured image with.

Then I sprayed E41 and E42 around the image using my Copic Airbrush System. Now the former shiny white Perfect Colourign Paper looks yellow and matches the coloured image.

My next step was to distress the rims of the paper with the blade of my scissor to give them an old and used look. I pulled the rim over the nib of E42 to stain it just a very controlled bit.

And this is the card I made with this image:

I distressed the rims of the desingpapers, too. For the light snowflakes I used some of the designpaper and added some Memento "Rich Cacoa" to make them look old. The center is the same designpaper I placed the snowflake on:

For the dark snowflakes I used the brown cardstock I used for the card. The center is punched out of designpaper, too:

Copic Markers I used:
E40, E41, E42, E43, E44, E47, E49

Please excuse the different colours of my photos, but somehow my camera gave me the creeps!

I hope you'll have a fabulous time preparing for Christmas, I'll just be back at my crafting table,making many, many more Christmas cards...

Big Hugs
Barbara/Kreativmonster

10 comments:

Malika said...

Love it ,so nice the monochome coulors. The girl is so cute

malika

Linda Simpson said...

WOW this is awesome! Love it!

Hugs
Linda xxx

Linda Simpson said...

WOW this is awesome! Love it!

Hugs
Linda xxx

SonjaK said...

Wow, Barbara, was für eine wundervolle Karte. Ich bin ganz hin und weg!

Sandra H said...

"WOW" This is truly lovely and thank you for the Tutorial xx

Monika said...

Die Karte ist ganz zauberhaft! Vielen Dank für's Zeigen.

Unknown said...

What a beauty!

Diny Sprakel said...

Thanks you Barbara for the great tutorial.
greetings Diny

Franz♥ said...

Thanks for the fab tutorial Barbara, fab result!

Hugs, Franz.

hug_dq said...

Wunderbar. Ich stehe ja auf monochrom, da brauch ich mir keine Gedanken über passende Farben machen - einfach "was ähnliches" wählen :-)
Deine Koloration ist super, allerdings bin ich auch in das Motiv verliebt.

Liebe Grüße und eine frohe Weihnachtszeit,
Kerstin